Oct 18, 2011

What's Harbaugh's deal? Ask Jim Schwartz

DETROIT -- It's too bad Pete Carroll wasn't here to provide commentary for Jim Harbaugh's postgame display.
Then things might really have gotten out of hand.
Carroll, famously miffed at Harbaugh when their teams met in the Pac-10 a few years back, was safely away on the Seattle Seahawks' bye week. That left Detroit Lions coach Jim Schwartz alone to take issue with Harbaugh's behavior during the customary handshake that followed the San Francisco 49ers' emotional victory at Ford Field.
More From ESPN.com
There's no excuse for Jim Schwartz's stunning overreaction after the Lions' first loss, Kevin Seifert writes. BlogAnd Schwartz wasn't pleased.
"I went to congratulate coach Harbaugh and got shoved out of the way," Schwartz said. "And then I didn't expect an obscenity at that point, so it was a surprise to me at the end of the game."
Harbaugh, for his part, admitted to being a little too exuberant, caught up in the moment. He grabbed Schwartz's hand in exaggerated fashion and forcefully slapped the Lions' coach on the back with his other hand.
"I was just really revved up and that is totally on me," Harbaugh said."I shook his hand too hard. I really went in and it was a strong, kind of a slap-grab handshake, kind of like the same as I had been doing with (special-teams player Blake) Costanzo and some of the other guys. That was on me. A little too hard of a handshake there."
Harbaugh ran away following the handshake. Schwartz tried to catch up with him. It appeared as though words could have been exchanged, but nothing was clear for sure. Harbaugh's players then shielded Schwartz.
"I don't know what he was saying," Harbaugh said.
Of course, Harbaugh had no reason to be upset. His team won.
"I was not agitated," Harbaugh said. "Very happy with the win. Thrill of winning. Great feeling of victory."
Harbaugh said he caught up with Schwartz in the tunnel and acknowledge the overly aggressive handshake, but there was no apology.

No comments:

Post a Comment